With the cold and flu season in full swing, we need to take extra precautions. Instead of over the counter medications put these tips to work. Always consult your physician about symptoms.
Here are 5 tips for winter wellness that can help you stay healthy.
- Extra Sleep – Make a routine to go to bed and get up at the same time, even on weekends. Put your phone away and turn off the TV. Try going to bed 30 minutes earlier.
- Exercise – Just 30 minutes per day can help boost your immune system. Bundle up and take a walk to boost your mood and energy.
- Social – We all would like to hibernate during the cold dark winter months, but it is proven that staying social can be a huge benefit. Make a date with family or friends, or even by yourself.
- Fruits and Vegetables – While at the grocery store think about the colors of the rainbow. Shop the outside perimeter and stay away from processed foods. You might no get many fresh items from the Farmer’s Market this time of year, but you can certainly still eat colorfully. Try raw, cooked, or in smoothies.
- Eat Protein – Protein helps keep blood sugar levels stable and can help reduce sugar cravings. With so many sweets surrounding us this time of year try to limit the cookies, cakes, and pies. Opt for healthy protein for energy and to get that full feeling.
- Hydrate – The winter months have us heating our homes, cars, workplace, and shopping areas. Be sure to drink your minimum water allowance each day.