With the holidays quickly arriving, Thanksgiving is almost here. Thanksgiving is a chance for families and friends to get together to, reminisce, and possibly watch a little football.
Instead of feeling that this is a stressful time with meal prep, a crowded house, family disagreements and sibling rivalry, and eating too much turkey….use the day to start a new tradition.
Maybe there will be one here to try this year. Most can include children, making sure everyone has a part in this terrific holiday.
- make placemats or a tablecloth
- make a Thankful pumpkin (use a Sharpie marker to write what you are thankful for on a large pumpkin)
- design a family cookbook
- play a game of pin the feather on the turkey
- test your knowledge with a game of Thanksgiving trivia
- go on a tech fasting (put your phones/tablets/Xbox/etc away, even if just for an hour)
- make a thankful jar
- watch your favorite movie
- go for a family walk after your meal
- have the kids serve desert
- stay connected with family members far away
Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays. It is hard being away from family, but I have learned that you create your own extended family wherever you live. We have learned to begin new traditions. As my son once wrote on a cake plate they display in their kitchen – FAMILIES are like fudge…mostly sweet with a few nuts.
(Sorry about the picture quality. I actually took this picture years ago as a memory. I never expected the phrase would stick with me and I would use the pic in a post – smile!)